2017-02-24 19:21:03 UTC
We are pleased to announce an imminent migration of Valgrind sources
from existing Subversion SCM to modern git SCM, as discussed during
our FOSDEM 2017 Valgrind devroom.
What is going on now?
The migration has just started. We are now in beta testing stage.
We still use the official SVN Valgrind repository for our work until
the final migration step. If you have some patches ready now, send
them for review.
You can contribute to the migration process - read below.
What will be migrated:
Valgrind and VEX sources. Precisely sources available today under
svn://svn.valgrind.org/valgrind and svn://svn.valgrind.org/vex, including
all production release branches and tags. Valgrind and VEX repos will
be merged into one, so no more SVN externals.
Where I will find the new repo:
At sourceware.org. Precisely at:
Right now a snapshot of SVN sources as of 2017-02-21 is available for
you to test.
How the test migration was performed:
See recipes at https://github.com/ivosh/valgrind-git-migration
What is the plan for the migration to go forward:
1. Test migration has been performed and initial tests were successful.
2. The test repo is now available to test and play for others with - see below
3. Prepare www (website) and nightly build script changes and have
4. Proceed once 2+3 are successfully done.
5. Announce the final migration.
6. Completely eradicate contents in the GIT repository so the migration
can start from scratch.
7. Switch SVN valgrind+vex repo readonly.
8. Perform the final migration to sourceware.org.
9. Enable email notifications from new git repo.
10. Push www and nightly script changes to the new repo.
What will not be migrated:
- Valgrind www (website) repo. Not now, but later.
- Non production release branches and tags from old SVN Valgrind+VEX repos.
If you need to preserve some other branches or tags, let us know:
I have a write access to existing SVN repo. What shall I do for the new one?
Please contact Julian Seward. He will point you to specific instructions.
What will be my simple workflow in new git SCM?
Not much will be changed from the way we worked in SVN.
We still prepare patches, send them for review, have someone
with write access to push them. A minimalistic workflow would be:
git clone git://sourceware.org/git/valgrind.git/ valgrind
git pull origin/master
build + test
[git push - if you have write access]
There are a lot of good tutorials on simple git workflows, so please
have a look. If you are using something more complicated, please
share with us and ideally send us a write up.
I would like to help with the migration.
Yes, please! Send us your positive and negative feedback.
- It worked for me!
- This and that did not work for me...
- How do I do such and such thing now?
The test repository is there for you to play with. The contents
will be deleted before the final migration so no reason to worry about
potential mistakes. It is also quite likely that the contents will be
regenerated during the beta testing, to fix any problems found.
We also need a help documenting possible workflows. Especially when
preparing a release - we need to test and document how to work with branches